- 225g of fresh ginger
- 2 cups of sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 4 cups of water
- Rinse and chop the ginger into 2mm slices then cut across to make
slithers. For a darker syrup, keep the skin on, else peel the ginger using a kitchen peeler.
- Mix all the ingredients together and gently bring to the boil in in a non-corrosive pot.
- Gently simmer for 45min to an hour, allowing to cool completely, covered.
- Strain the syrup from the solid ginger pieces into a suitable bottom or jar.
- Refrigerate for up to a week.
To make a ginger spritzer, mix to taste with soda water and finish off with ice and a slice of lemon. Add rum or vodka for a Dark and Stormy or Russian Mule alcoholic.
Great over vanilla ice cream, fruit salad and muesli.
Add to stir fry with a splash of soy sauce.
Pour into a glass bottom with a ribbon and label as a home-made Christmas gift.